The many faces of a Mother


                   HAPPY EVERY DAY THAT YOU ARE ON THE EARTH!
Saying Happy Mother's Day has always been a challenge for me. Oh, I can say it, I just don't understand why we have to make a day to celebrate motherhood when a daily intention makes more sense. I also have a challenge with the narrow perspective of the definition of a mother, at least in our culture. I for one, have many titles, mom, step-mother, grandmother and I am sure a mother of another type when I have annoyed people. I have also been an honorary mother to friends of the kids, partners to my kids, younger clients that look to me for guidance and to a few furry kids as well as some amphibious charges. 

I have in my experience had a mother, grandmothers, mother in law (although the jury is still out as to whether I am in the family or not. :)), honorary mothers, mentors I recognized as filling a mother role for me as well as a child of Mother Earth. Did I mention I have four older sisters? The mother energy is everywhere. Just because the birth process is defined in the dictionary as creating that role, it is not accurate in my estimation. A mother to me, is someone who loves the people in their lives and offers compassion as well as guidance when asked. A person who allows and can see the young ones in her life as having their own journey and honoring their spirit. A person who does the hard things and doesn't look for a reward for it, but rather sees her own strength and growth as a result of the process. 

So, where ever you may see these qualities or hold these qualities, honor that this Sunday and every day from there and see just how filled up you can become with the wonder of a life process.

This weekend I will celebrate with my kids and grandkids and I will have a wonderful time. Just as wonderful as when we get together on a non mother holiday and I get hugs and get to see them growing in their lives. Rumor has it there is grilling involved too. yum!

I wish you the best of all weekends and beyond, 
Vicki




0 comments:

Post a Comment