I can listen, I really can!








Have you ever taken the time to appreciate the ability to listen, really listen. It's not all done with our auditory sense. That simply processes the information. It allows you to hear but listening takes skill and practice and definitely presence! One must be present to listen. It can't work without that.

Given this last week of energy movement and people croaking, I had no other option. Well, I did. I could have done as I have before and power through it but that seems silly now. I save that for workouts now. Powering through anything else seems like resistance and too hard. I'm no longer of the mindset that doing things the hard way is worth it. 

I decided the only way I was going to stay upright was if I listened to what my body was telling me. Some days it said, go for it, clean that whole house, do some business planning, pooper scoop (I wasn't a fan of that one) and go for a wun (walk/run. I didn't hear to run the whole thing yet.) Other days it said take it easy. Take a nap (I did). Go with the flow and see how well things get done after (they do). 

This laid back approach is something I've been able to do before, on the outside. My inside chatterbox of a head would have been talking the whole time I laid back. This time I let the thoughts come but then they went right out again. It was amazing. The quiet was WONDERFUL!

Where are you not listening to yourself? Sometimes we have so much information going in it is very challenging to hear much less listen, but where is that? Where is the peace for you? Do you even know? 

Can you take some time to connect with yourself and to reconnect the listening skill that was so present when you were a baby and learning how to be? Can you give yourself the gift of real learning and embracing that skill? Will you? Will you consider that until you hear yourself, you will not be able to listen and in the listening be able to hear what you want and how to be happy?

I know you can do it. You learned to tie your shoes didn't you? Write your name? Then surely you can do this too. We will be a world of healthy ears and hearts when we connect the two in collaboration. Hearing with our ears, listening with them, and then doing the same with the heart. It wants to expand and be part of the party too you know.

For a beginner, stop and listen to what is around you. Turn off the electronics and hear what is around you. Don't get attached to it or feel you have to do anything. Start at the beginning. When that feels ok, you can move on to listening. Have fun with it, but get started. Talking about something and doing it are just as different as hearing and listening. :)

Here is to hearing!
Vicki

0 comments:

Post a Comment