When I grow up, I want to be like my dog.


Today started like any other Sunday in my house. I slowly roll out of bed, coffee and convincing Tank, the resident canine, that we will indeed go for a walk, as soon as the coffee hits the blood stream. This Sunday was a bit more challenging as for the first time in a long time, I have had a doozy of a week trying to stay upright in the energy and the emotions of so many souls crossing. So I was moving a bit slower and with a bit less excitement about the walk.

Like most dogs, Tank is very intuitive, he waited until I was able to get my head around even getting dressed and then did the butt wiggle that those with bully breeds in them are well known for. It is impressive and a wonder he doesn't wind himself into orbit. I laughed and said the magic walk word and we were gone. Although he was a bit more of a challenge to start out with, he soon realized the other end of the leash was in no mood to let him smell every other dog who had ever walked the same path. Eventually we settled into a nice rhythm and the rest of the wun ( my special combination of walking/running) was a joy, once I got out of my own way and crankiness. That takes practice, I believe. To be able to shift your mood on command takes lots and lots of practice. We are eternal, we've got time, go ahead and practice. It is worth it!

I decided to do the Tank method of a walk. Everything is exciting, everyone I meet probably loves me as much as I must love them already just because they happen to be on the same street and all the smells mean this is the BEST route ever! Even if we just walked it few days ago. This is THE BEST!

Dogs are really good at staying in the moment. What if we learned to do that? What if we decided that whatever happened yesterday to annoy us could stay in yesterday because there are new people to meet and new lands to explore? 

Once we returned from our journey, I was so grateful for the example I spent the whole day being in the moment. Doing whatever I felt like doing and if the critic head showed up to talk about what I should be doing, I reminded myself to be Tank like. Now, when he chewed on a toy, I didn't join him, I do have some limits but I did recline and soak in the sun when it was out.


For the entire summer last year we tried to help Tank understand part of his breed, lab, likes water. They know to cool off it in and play and have fun. Needless to say, the pool was wasted on him because he wanted no part of it. We tried again this year on a hot day and still, no thank you was his response. We left the pool out in his yard thinking maybe he will get used to it that way. Well, he did as you can see by the picture. He just decided he likes it better as a bed than water holder, and inside out. He saw potential where we did not. Why? Because he didn't lament about last week when it had water in it, he just got in and enjoyed a nap. Another reason to be more like your dog, naps wherever you are.

Now, there are obviously traits I don't want to emulate from a dog's life but I really feel they are the smarter, more evolved species. They know crazy levels of love and forgiveness and there is no denying gifts at butt wiggles to show an internal happiness. How much fun would it be to observe nature this week and find your own inspiration? Find what can be the example when you want to sit in the poor me and use it to shift to your own butt wiggle happy place.

If you'll excuse me now, its time for bed. Tank gets excited by that and I can see why now. Dreaming is what brings happiness to life. He can dream of running with his friends at daycare and I will dream of him letting me sleep until seven tomorrow!

Happy trails,
Vicki

www.vickibaird.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment