Working is overrated, don't you agree?


There is popular language in the self help world that has, I believe, been challenging for people. I'm a word gal. I can feel the vibrations in words so when someone uses these terms it is the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

One of the phrases is "I am working on myself." It took me a bit to figure out why this felt so resistant to me. It is the working word. Doesn't it create a feeling of drudgery in you as well? I love my job but the idea of working on my business can send me out to the playground and into avoidance really quickly. Suggest that I create a new avenue or enhance what I am doing and I get excited. It isn't simply a mind over matter or semantics in the word choice, there is a vibration to everything and I am suggesting we all start paying attention to that vibration.

So if work is a four letter word, what is another way of saying that for you? We could suggest play, or exploration or even application, that would work too. Give yourself the time to feel this out and see what works for you. (See what I did there? Made work an action not a judgment.) For one of my clients last week it was practical discovery.

She was lamenting on how she had been "working" on herself for decades and nothing was "working". I had to stop her and ask if that felt good to say it that way. She obviously knew it didn't but wasn't sure where to go with it. I suggested that she see herself in practical discovery.  A bit of a treasure hunt to the great parts of herself and then a plan to apply them. She likes plans which is why the working on self worked for her. It gave her a sense of action and doing something but if she was never reaching a place of the work working, what was the point?



We are eternal. We are never going to get it all done. So, why not be in a space of excitement and wonder with our own selves. We are pretty amazing you know.

I'm suggesting a softer, more compassionate way of growth. One that takes into consideration we must build on what we learned today and implement it tomorrow and carry that into whatever comes next. Build up the potential rather than see what we have as flawed and in need of "working" on.

Let's leave the hi, ho, hi, ho, it's off to work we go, to the Disney movie and sing a different tune!

Rocking out to Life is a Highway,
Vicki





0 comments:

Post a Comment