Can you believe it?

The definition of believe is to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so.  I love this because there is so much wiggle room there.  I can believe whatever I want and don't have to have proof.  This is pretty much how I live my life.  If I had waited for proof, I would have never done my first reading.  We wouldn't have the house we have that I love so much in her 1800s glory (and draftiness) that our Realtor believed was not a good fit for us.  I wouldn't have the fun I have every day believing in the seemingly unseen.

I was on my way into work this morning and I kept hearing the song written by Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl and Al Stillman in 1953, I Believe.  It is the one that starts with "I believe that for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows."  Anyone who was in chorus in Pine Plains, NY knows this song.  It was a favorite of the choir director, Ms. Midthun.  Who knew thirty years later I would reference it?  I believe she may be still singing it!  I am grateful as I do believe the words of the song, written to give people hope during a time of war.  I trust these messages.  I listen to them because I believe there is power in words and there are many opportunities for us to bring ourselves back to the present and into a place of peace.

We have recently celebrated the holidays where belief abounds and already people are complaining about life again.  Seriously?  Sometimes it takes all I have not to yell, you don't have it so bad!  Yes, it's cold but you have a coat on and a hot coffee in your hands. Zip it!  Then... I breathe and start singing, I believe for every drop of rain that falls...

I use this method as well as an attitude of gratitude to get me back on track when I feel like I may join those that have lost their compass that points to their own gratitude spot. Another way to shift that is to list what you believe:

  • I believe everyone has greatness in them.
  • I believe all deserve the very best and we are here to have fun, not suffer. 
  • I believe puppy breath is just amazing. 
  • I believe children have the best laughs ever. 
  • I believe music can heal the soul.
  • I believe embracing a day, rather than greeting it with, oh crap, makes for a wonderful start. 
  • I believe that when we invest ourselves, we get back the greatest gift of self esteem and a happy dance. 
  • I believe when I hurt that is on me and no one else. It is my responsibility to heal me.
  • I believe I will run that half marathon this year. I believe I am a little crazy to do so, but I still believe in me. 
  • I believe you reading this is a gift I could never repay but I also know it isn't my job to do so. My job is to be the best soul and person I can be and in doing that, I attracted you to this blog. Go us!
  • I believe if you look someone straight in the eye, you can see their essence and if they can't, you can reflect your belief that they matter to them. 
  • I believe in saying hi to people I don't know. It might be the only hi they got that day and I love that exchange. 
  • I love a good one liner and believe in the healing power of laughter. 


These are just a few of my beliefs. Won't you list yours today and connect with self and feel who you are and perhaps not what others have suggested you are or you have come to believe because of another's words? I believe you can. 

Believing in you,
Vicki



0 comments:

Post a Comment