Who you calling weird?

Weird. I heard this word more times this week then I think I ever have in my lifetime. It was used in several different contexts, but most often it was used as the person was describing themselves or what they believed, and not in a favorable way.

Since I love words and I have become extremely sensitive to their vibrations and meanings for individuals, it stuck out to me.  When it was being used to describe the person, I asked them to stop their sentence right there. This may seem rude to interrupt but I didn't want them to create a habit of self judgment any more than they already had.

Weird, by definition, is to suggest something is supernatural or uncanny. It also means of strange character and fantastic. An ancient description from Scotland refers to weird as a noun and as being someone's destiny.

So, to a certain extent, we can say someone calling themselves weird isn't such an un-supportive belief but when it is said with a tone of condemnation, I don't believe the psyche and body receive it as a positive thing. The influence we have on ourselves through our words is amazing. Take one day and be aware of the statements you use with others and then the ones you use with yourself. It's no wonder people grapple with depression and low self esteem the way we knock ourselves down on a daily basis.

When you consider we all have different views on subjects and life, to use weird as a comparative doesn't make sense either because what one may find supernatural another may see as an everyday experience.  People have assumed many times that I have dealt with a lot of judgment because of the abilities I have but I really haven't.  I don't see how I am wired as being anything but how I am. So if someone else thinks what I do is weird or I am, it is their definition of weird, not mine and they can have it.

What words do you use to diminish yourself?  Who are you trying to convince when you do this, someone else or yourself?  Can you feel how awful it lands in your body? I wonder what we are all afraid of if we created the habit of self support rather than sabotage. Would we suddenly cease to exist if we thought highly of ourselves? Would we go poof if, oh my goodness, we lived up to the amazing beings we are and didn't worry about what others thought of that?

I'm going to suggest that this week you become aware of how you talk to yourself and then attempt to shift it. Enlist a buddy if that would help. They can hear how you speak and reflect back to you a supportive way of phrasing.  Choose wisely. Remember when you are observing that this isn't a pass/fail test. This is simply becoming aware so you can change anything that isn't helping you feel amazing. There isn't an award for being a self saboteur, so let's stop competing, shall we?



Wonderfully, engaging, intelligent, radiant, dandelions, ok that is weird, or at least the acronym I am going with from now on!

May you catch the wind with your wishes,
Vicki

0 comments:

Post a Comment