Do you loop?

This past year I decided I might like running. I'd like to say this is the first time I've questioned my sanity, but it isn't and won't be the last, but nevertheless, this was this years challenge. I like a good challenge. Something that stretches me and isn't always easy but I know is attainable at some level. So, running it is.

There is a discussion in running circles about which is best, the straight out and back path or the loop. Typically I am a loop person because, quite frankly, if I have the option to turn around and go back easily, I just may do that. The loop ensures I will go all the way around to get back to my starting point. The longer the loop, the better as it means I again, won't give up earlier. See a pattern here? Yeah, it's good to know thyself.

So, on my latest and longest run I was thinking about the brilliance in my loop plan. The loop gave me an opportunity to see roads I haven't explored on my side of town and it also gave me time to say to myself, "what the hell were you thinking?" Now we (my legs and I) have to go all the way around to get back home! My legs often question my brain and the lungs chime in at times too. It is quite the dialogue. So, rather then lament on the mileage to go, I decided to write this blog in my head while on the road.

The looping thought process, or repetitive as it is more commonly known, is one that many people get into on a regular basis, myself included. It is learning to see the loop for what it is and decide on a straight out and back track which often produces a calm feeling and moving forward. The loop process is one that I believe we create to fool ourselves into thinking we are actually doing something. Well, thinking is something but when it isn't tied to some kind of action, it is a time consuming and often confusion proposition.

What do you find yourself looping about? Most of the time it is something you can't do anything about anyway, right? Another persons actions, an experience in the past, or whether or not your favorite show will be extended this season. Not all looping thoughts are majorly life impacting, in fact, most aren't at all except to give the illusion that you are living.

So, which is your preference? To loop or straight out and back? Here are some suggestions to deciding that conundrum:

  • First become aware if you are have a loop process. Any thought that is reoccurring and feels limiting or stuck is an unsupported loop and time to untie that puppy! For example: constantly running your bank balance in your mind, or the lack of a balance. Playing old conversations as you remember them over and over. Playing conversations that haven't even happened over and over. The should list: I should do this or I should do that. Looping. 
  • Next, be nice to you and acknowledge you are having one and ask if there is anything you can do to help it be supportive. Can you take an action, can you bring in more income, call someone and actually have the conversation or redirect your head to a task that has nothing to do with the looping thought. 
  • If you have a challenging time re-directing, you can call me and we will re-pattern the thought process or you could reach out to someone helpful to assist you in shifting. 
  • Realize that the looping thought process is a habit and new habits can be formed much like the ones that are there that aren't supportive. 

Your mission this week, should you choose to accept it, is to be aware of when your head wants to do the loop, acknowledge it and step away from the track! Choose one of the suggestions above or utilize your own tools and get on that straight out of the loop path. 

Someone get the car. I'm contemplating another run. I may need a ride back. 
Vicki

0 comments:

Post a Comment