Fool me once...

In honor of April fools day, I thought I would do a tribute to the statement "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." While I don't believe shame is inspirational, the statement can be pretty handy to remember and therefore followed.

It's not a big secret in my family that I see the best in people. I believe that we are unlimited and only run into less than energy when we don't believe in ourselves. For years I would champion people that quite frankly, didn't earn it. Did they deserve it, sure they did, someone had to believe in them. What I didn't realize is it didn't have to be me. I have often put others way ahead of what I wanted in my life. I think that is something most people can understand, and a lot have a challenge with themselves.

It took some pretty upsetting circumstances for me to be able to admit that not everyone operates from a place of honesty and wanting the best for all. I didn't want to believe that about others but once I allowed myself to accept it, that statement wasn't as difficult to say nor to accept.

I realized admitting to myself that I don't have to like everyone was very freeing. I could see them for who they were presenting to me and it didn't mean I was failing at loving another, it meant that I was able to see their true self.  Also not a reflection on me, but of them.

I know that I am not the authority on how people live their lives but I am the authority on me and at this point in my life, I am not willing to fool me twice for the sake of another.
  • Have you reached this place in your knowing as well?
  • Do you feel that you can appreciate the diversity in people while recognizing your own value so you don't let them take advantage?
  • Can you accept that others WILL show you their true self and while most of the time that is wonderful, sometimes it is not and being willing to see it can help all involved?
The statement could be said as, fool me once, that's on me, fool me twice, that's on me too. Holding the responsibility of whether you can be fooled allows for honesty and transparency. Once you know it's possible, you can free yourself from the place of people pleasing.

So whether it is a coworker, friend who may not meet that description any longer, or a family member, it is our soul given right to align with those that help our heart sing. When that no longer happens, we are free to decide what is in our best interest to do so, without guilt.

Now it is very possible that we might be that person that someone else is deciding no longer aligns with them.  Again by accepting our own personal responsibility, I believe we can complete relationships with respect and walk away without feeling like a fool. 

Use this potentially funny day to find the space within your own heart that allows people to go on their journey even if it takes them away from you and to be on your journey even if it takes you away from another.

Foolish in fun only,
Vicki

0 comments:

Post a Comment