Community...not so scary after all.

It occurred to me today that I have truly become part of a community. I love the Berkshires and have been comfortable here since we moved to the area eighteen years ago. It is only recently though, that I have allowed myself to form strong connections with more people. I grew up in a small town and in hindsight, had a great time there, but it always felt too small and I can still hyperventilate at the idea that someone will say "Vicki? You are one of the Badore girls aren't you?" I think I have always liked a little anonymity and that doesn't come in a small town with a family of eight kids! :)

When I moved to Massachusetts, I believe I wanted to protect that anonymity and although I have great friends from when I first moved to the area, I kept my circle small. I didn't want to live in what felt like a fishbowl any longer.

Fast forward a few years and I hung my shingle out as an intuitive. Yeah, the irony didn't get past me either. Being known for what I do didn't phase me. It made sense. Being known as Vicki was still a little uncomfortable as I didn't know who I was. I believe it was becoming so comfortable with myself that I was no longer concerned if anyone knew everything about me. I still completely value my private time, but I am an open book otherwise.

The reason it occurred to me that community is a great thing is I attended a service for a friend today. There isn't a superlative in the English language to describe the love I felt in that place. There were over three hundred people there and we came an hour into the calling hours so imagine adding the ones that had paid their respects and left!

I realized as I waited in line that he and his family had touched all these people so much we came out in droves, wrapping around the building down the block, to be in that energy one more time. Let's be honest, services are not for the ones that have passed, they are for the ones in the physical body perhaps as a reassurance that we are still here and also to remember the soul who touched our lives. Dave and his family know how to do community. You could poll anyone in that place and they would have a very specific experience with them. A connective experience. A conscious, very present experience.

It wasn't the number of people who showed up. That's not what made the impression on me. It was the knowing that each person there had felt, heard or seen at some point in their life because this amazing family helps you feel that way. I want to be like them when I grow up. I want to contribute to a world community like that. It isn't about how many people come to your service, it is about the time you took with each person over your life to help them feel like they matter.

I haven't processed all that has impacted me being a part of Dave's journey, but I have had some of these nuggets show up as teachers along the way. I asked Dave before he crossed that when he has the energy space, after visiting all his close friends and loved ones, and writing a manual on how to live and how to cross (because he freaking rocked both!), if he would help me to appreciate life and to live with a bit more compassion that seemed to be a natural part of his being.

Each blog I do has some sort of call to action in it. Today, in honor of the stubborn Irishman, I am going to ask you to be present. To listen to whomever you are visiting with and to take the time to look around and ask if you are creating community wherever you go. I know we are all teachers and students at the same time. It is time for us to learn this and then teach as we go by being living examples of compassion.

Hope to see you in the neighborhood,
Vicki

0 comments:

Post a Comment