The fruits and veggies of metaphor...

I have heard some self help educators refer to humans as onions. We learn and then there is another layer or depth to the lesson in which we must learn some more. Oh good grief. Onions make me cry, why would I want to be compared to an onion? Why, when there are so many good vegetables out there, would I pick one, that admittedly I love to eat, as the metaphor to inspire me to grow? It doesn't. They smell. I don't want to smell.  I feel this is another way to make sure we feel crappy about self awareness and to take the joy out of discovery of what makes us complex, amazing human beings.

What if we go with the pomegranate instead? Have you had them? They are amazing little fruits. A beautiful color, fascinating design and producer of so many delicious seeds. I like that they are a little complex themselves. Without a YouTube video or culinary school training, how the heck do you get to those seeds? Well, you have to want to first of all. If you don't want to do the work to get the seeds out, you will probably leave them in the bin and go for the ready to eat apple. This is more like life than the onion, I believe. If one doesn't want to know what they have inside, they will continue to take the seemingly easier road until such time that they become bored or have an experience that knocks them on the head to pay attention. Hello....Sir Isaac Newton is a great example of this!

The pomegranate can be peeled, sectioned or cut and placed in a bowl of water to get to those seeds of yumminess. It isn't a one size fits all fruit, just like people. We all have a different experience that helps us be who we are today so one way of looking at a situation is not going to work for everyone. Who knew fruit was so smart?

Do you ever feel like you are constantly working on yourself but don't feel like you get anywhere? Peeling back those layers that the onion metaphor refers to? There have been times where I will become aware of a discord in my system and feel it to be familiar, like something I have worked on over and over and over again. I want to smack myself in the head when this happens, I don't, but I want to. Seeing it show up when you thought you learned whatever it was can be frustrating or it can be liberating. It can be painful and make you cry sad tears or it can be so beautiful and full of wonder, it has you crying happy, relief filled tears. I believe if we are willing to look inside the shell of our own fruit filled selves, we would be amazed at what a beautiful pattern is there.

As part of my certification with Belief Re-patterning, I have to use the technique in my own life and when necessary connect with those that are qualified as well to do additional sessions. It is important to know how it feels to do re-patterning and it is important to me to keep growing. Plus, this stuff works!

This week I ran into a familiar block and I was ready to thump myself on the head! Luckily, I had a session scheduled with the woman who created the technique and she, with humor, helped me realize I could continue to feel the old way or I could shift it and feel free of old patterns and create a new one. Guess which one I chose? Correct! Let's live life from the supportive side of the line shall we?

I could have lamented about how I was seeing this pattern again in my life or I could choose to be complete and not be interested in creating yet another story around how it must be part of my journey to suffer this again in Onion world. I don't know about you but I would rather onions adorn my burger than my psyche!

My point in all of this is if you would like to change the patterns in your life and reduce the thumping of yourself on the head, there are ways to do it if you are willing. If you are open to reducing the struggle,you can give yourself permission to take the fruit that may require a bit of work upfront and yield the largest benefit.


I will be doing a complimentary Belief Re-patterning event on Wednesday, February 18th at my office if you are interested in seeing it in action.

Whatever you choose to help you get off the treadmill of repetitive patterns is great. You deserve to feel like you have a supportive self that can plant the seeds of growth. You deserve it because you are a soul that came here to learn through love and support. How cool is that? Let's leave the layers of suffering to the past and move through this year with courage, fun and new patterns, shall we?

Off to get some seeds of my own,
Vicki

0 comments:

Post a Comment