Affirmation; more than words to say.

Affirmations are wonderful. I love words. So stringing them together in order to create a statement that supports who I am is a win win. The challenge for me, in the past, has been that I didn't always believe what I was saying. Sure, I could read the words that said I was an amazing person, mom, teacher, etc., but I didn't necessarily believe that deep inside. That's a problem because with my rule being go authentically or don't go at all, I couldn't continue to lie to myself.

Imagine my eye rolling when I found out that affirmations were a big part of Belief Re-patterning. Luckily, that didn't last long because I realized we weren't going to say things we didn't believe. We were going to shift the pathways in our brains so that we COULD believe the words being said. Phew, because otherwise I was going to have to skedaddle.

To affirm means to say something is true in a confident way. That can be very challenging when one may be not be aware of what to affirm because their beliefs are in the way. Some beliefs are wonderfully supportive like the affirmation calendars suggest, but some can be downright annoying. These beliefs, which we are taught or shown while in this human process, most of them in childhood, may not necessarily be our own. So how does one figure out how the heck to sort it out? Well, you can come see me and/or you can start listening to how you feel or what you say. These two will give you the affirmation that you are supporting yourself or you may be diminishing self.

I know for me, I couldn't say I was good at anything for the longest time. I am in the process of learning how to promote myself and find it awkward at times but I like teaching my brain new things. The affirmation stage of Belief Re-patterning, the amazing technique for shifting your beliefs from critical to supportive, is one of clarity for many people.

In this stage we are taking the approach of looking back at what we have done well, or a solid footing, to help reinforce the knowledge that you can be a coach to yourself and experience emotions that remind you of your greatness. For instance, I remember when I was scared you know whatless, but I still stepped on stage at the Colonial and did three successful shows. I remember the feeling of euphoria of being on stage and gratitude that all these people were sharing their Sunday's and emotions with me. This helps me to this day when I have to do something that both scares and excites me.

I also like to remind myself in the affirmation stage that I learned to tie my shoes and that seemed like a big deal at the time, so I can learn to do anything today. It really helps to have a specific memory and something you experienced to transfer whatever may be going on now to a state of knowing we are capable.

What have you done in your life that you remember feeling, "Wow, I did that!" or "I remember thinking _________ was going to be hard, and I accomplished it." “I can do _____________ today."

If you can't find something, at the risk of sounding redundant, come see me, you may borrow from someone else in order to propel yourself into a supportive energy. "Josie really goes for what she wants in this life. I am learning to be adventurous like she is." I firmly believe that if we recognize a characteristic in another, we have that same characteristic within us otherwise we wouldn't see it. Be willing to see what you have within and affirm that you can create new pathways to change the perception which will change the habit.

Once we get into the habit of collecting information that substantiates our value and abilities, the brain calms down and the emotional centers get happy. Don't you want happy emotional centers that automatically support you even if life gets bumpy? Then they need to be trained again. It's ok, your soul and mind want to be happy too. They will be willing to help.

For this week, catch yourself doing something that feels good, affirms your abilities or delights you. Reinforce that feeling by saying “I know myself to be ________. I give this gift to me often!"

I am so grateful to all of you for taking the time to read my blog.  It truly affirms what a great community I have all over the world. I am blessed. (Affirmations I believe wholeheartedly.)

Vicki

0 comments:

Post a Comment